Sunday, April 22, 2012

Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut - The Children's Crusade

"And war will look just wonderful, so we'll have a lot more of them. And they'll be fought by babies like the babies upstairs." - pg. 14
I agree with O'Hare's wifes' attitude towards war. It is glorified through the media when it is finished. Most of the time, during war, though, the horrors are present. But, people prefer to watch movies that show the "cool" side of war. It makes them feel like they will be important if they are able to kill and be a part of a war. War does tend to include younger people, like she says. It is fought by young adults, or even worse, children are sent to battle because they are unsuspecting and more challenging emotionally to kill. I understand at times in our history, war was necessary. But at this point, I don't see any sort of logical reason for war. Our world is becoming extremely interconnected, and it seems senseless attack another part when other means are more effective and less dangerous. I hope we are able to keep fascists out and keep world on fairly peaceful terms. We need more solidarity!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with this point. I hate when people passively accept war and say "war will always happen." Maybe war happens because of the uncaring attitudes toward it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you are saying about our society showing off the "cool" side of war. However, I honestly think that "war will always happen" because there will always be someone that disagrees. It's human nature for people to disagree. I think it would be absolutely wonderful if there was a more peaceful method to sorting out our problems with one another, but overall there will be some form of argument that takes place.

    ReplyDelete