Monday, April 30, 2012

Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut - Personification/Onomatopoeia

"Birds were talking. One bird said to Billy Pilgrim, 'Poo-tee-weet?'" - pg. 215
First, I was surprised that the bird talked. Second, I was surprised by odd choice of words to form the bird sound. I'm saying it to myself, and I don't sound like a bird. And finally, I realized it was a question. WHY IS IT A QUESTION?! How did Vonnegut decide that it was a question? This blog post is analyzing the confusion. Analyze! I've got nothing significant. But, I'm very creative, so I'll give it a shot. The birds might be asking the audience "Savvy?" It could be Vonnegut's way of discreetly asking the reader if he/she understands. Or the bird could be asking why humans make war? The bird is in a setting of complete destruction of its habitat. It could be asking Billy, "Why?" This would be another way for Vonnegut to pound home his point.

2 comments:

  1. Jimmy, you're a genius. Literally every time I read what the bird said I skipped over it and imagined a birdy noise in my mind. I knew there was significance, but I wasn't sure what it was. All of your ideas make sense! I may or may not steal your idea and use it in my timed writing if necessary. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Grace, I just skipped over any significance associated with the birds' noises. I noticed that Vonnegut's choice of bird sound did not really imitate a bird, but that was as far as I got. I also didn't even realized that it was a question. I like your theories on why this is and why it is here. It is definitely some valuable insight.

    ReplyDelete