Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Frankenstein - Mary Shelley - Frame Story

"You have read this strange and terrific story, Margaret; and do you not feel your blood congeal with horror like that which even now curdles mine?" - pg. 155
The entire story is told as frames within frames within frames. In the middle of the book, I tended to forget that it was being told to Walton which in turn was being written in letters to Margaret. This quote was the major transition out of the storing being told by Victor. Coming out of that story caused suspense. As the reader, I began to feel nervous as to what may happen next since I didn't know the end result like I did before. However, I forgot that it was being told in letters! When I recalled this, I new that the ending couldn't be all terrible since Walton had to write it down. The frame story creates layers of suspense and ingenuity that causes the reader to stay entranced in the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment